Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Miriam withdraws veto of Mar confirmation



True to her word, Senator Miriam Defensor Santiago stood up to block the confirmation of DILG Secretary Mar Roxas before the Commission on Appointments but quickly changed her mind after a short appeal by Sen. Tito Sotto.
Santiago said she is blocking Roxas' confirmation on principle after Malacañang decided not to allow Cabinet members to attend her investigation on resigned DILG Undersecretary Rico Puno.
"As senator, I consider myself deeply insulted by the actions of Malacanang in deciding collectively among the Cabinet that they will snub my committee hearing  on a former DILG undersecretary. I now want to stand by the principle that the executive branch of the government cannot effectively prevent the legislative branch of the government from holding any inquiry in aid of legislation...I deeply regret also that as collateral damage, I had to take counteraction by announcing that as a member of the Commission on Appointments, I will exercise my power of one-person veto," she said.
She said her veto power could block the confirmations of Roxas, Justice Secretary Leila de Lima and Environment Secretary Ramon Paje.
Santiago, however, changed her mind after an appeal by Senator Sotto.
"Mr. President, my high intelligence quotient dictates that I should reconsider and therefore I withdraw my motion," she said.
Her decision paved the way for the confirmation of Roxas as well as newly appointed Transportation Secretary Jun Abaya.

No comments:

Post a Comment